By Louie Mitchell, Social Media Coordinator ~

In a life filled with trials and challenges, how is someone able to convey the painful emotions behind them to others? My interviewee in this podcast drew insight from this question and mentioned, “art is supposed to make some people uncomfortable.” It is often said that only in moments of discomfort are we truly allowed to grow, and the artist I interviewed today knows this better than anyone else.

Holly Klavans

Holly Klavans, an aspiring art education major and accomplished artist, took the time to sit down with me to discuss the process behind her artistic vision and motivations for the future. While always having an affinity for the arts, Holly originally came to Penn State as a human center design and development major. Quickly realizing that it would not fulfill her to work on User Interfaces all day, she switched to her current major.

During the podcast, she goes on to talk about her introduction to art and the trauma that accompanied it. Holly also speaks in-depth about the challenges and beauties that present themselves when an artist with ADHD attempts the craft.

Into the Void by Holly Klavans

“During that time, all I really had was art. I didn’t have technology. I didn’t have friends. I didn’t have going out to restaurants or movies. All I had was art.”

In this podcast, we discuss the inspirations, aspirations, and tribulations that accompany any artist, and how to deal with them.

A Long Strange Trip by Holly Klavans

Originally from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Louie didn’t move too far to attend Penn State. Originally intending to become a nuclear physicist, Louie quickly changed his mind and began to pursue a path in English. His dream job is to be a graphic novelist who creates their own Shonen manga. In his free time, he enjoys getting out to play volleyball, reading a girthy web novel, and illustrating.