As we round out our final round of staff picks, the KLIO 2023 Staff has selected books that they love. From novels to series, read on to find out what your KLIO 2023 Staff is currently reading!

Black and white photo of a young girl wearing a 1920s style dress and stockings, hovering over the ground in the woods

“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” by Ransom Riggs Credit: Quirk Books

Katie Volz (Fiction Editor) – “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Brontë and “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” by Ransom Riggs

I have been reading “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Brontë. Is this a new book? No, but it is a good one.

Full of mysterious, mentally perplexing, and dark themes, it makes for an interesting read. Like many, I was first introduced to the Brontë Sisters in a high school English class, but I fell in love with the archaic conventions. I would highly recommend this one for the purpose of traveling back to the Victorian period and meeting a host of wonderfully complex individuals.

Another series I have been reading is the “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children” books. Built around a selection of bizarre, unexplainable pictures, Ransom Riggs takes the reader on a spectacular adventure across the ocean and time.

Fantasy and Sci-Fi are no longer separate genres in these novels with a solid explanation for every head-scratching detail. The books trick the reader into thinking that their scenarios are plausible, or at least possible.

I began reading the series in middle school and have kept up with it ever since. Every book is a quick read, primarily because of the gripping plot. It was the first series I read where I truly could not put the book down.

a woman draped in a red veil stands in the middle of a red, arched, columned building.

“The Henna Artist” by Alka Joshi Credit: MIRA

Anjani Jayakar (Assistant Blog Editor) – “The Henna Artist” by Alka Joshi

I recently finished “The Henna Artist” by Alka Joshi, and it’s the first book in the Jaipur trilogy. It follows the life of a woman named Lakshmi in post-colonial India, where she works hard to make a living for herself by doing henna designs on the wealthy and by selling her ayurvedic medicines. 

This book has really beautiful descriptions of ancient Indian practices, and the narrative seems quite realistic and immersive. At the end of the book, you learn that Alka Joshi actually interviewed people on their accounts of post-colonial India and did research on ayurvedic practices, which I found so enlightening.

She includes a henna recipe that Lakshmi follows in the book, and all of these little things along with the vivid language made the book very enjoyable to read.

It’s a novel that’s both informative and exciting, and some of the characters are just morally gray enough that you never know who you’re rooting for, but that’s what makes it so fascinating.

Black and gold writing on an off white cover

“Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones” by James Clear Credit: Avery; Illustrated Edition

Andrew Jackson (Music/Audio Coordinator) – “Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones” by James Clear

“Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones” is a #1 New York Times Bestseller, written by James Clear. James Clear talks about how small changes can lead to remarkable results. Improving just one percent a day can make you 37.78 percent better in one year.

What makes “Atomic Habits” so meaningful is that James Clear tells a narrative that can be applied to anyone’s life. We routinely do habits that aren’t beneficial to self-improvement, and never attempt to break those habits. Well, Clear has taken over that role, giving us remarkable knowledge and tips to break bad habits.

The book is filled with life-changing stories and statistics that will empower you to take initiative in the goals that are altering your progress.

James Clear couldn’t have written the book any better. Simple diction, graphs, life stories, and numerous transformative quotes. My favorite is, “Every action you take is a vote for the person you wish to become”.

This book is truly revolutionary.

drawing of a black cat on a splotchy light burnt orange background

“If It Bleeds” by Stephen King Credit: Scribner

Zoey Joseph (University Park Outreach Coordinator) – “If It Bleeds” by Stephen King

Currently, I am reading “If It Bleeds” by Stephen King. He is my favorite author and I am constantly reading his work.

I fell in love with Stephen King’s work at a young age because of the way he can create entire worlds through the power of his writing. I always enjoy reading thrilling and chilling pieces and that is exactly what King’s genre is.

“If It Bleeds” is a compilation of four short stories, each one with its own set of characters, unique world and thought-provoking ending.

King has such a wide range of areas that he writes in, which makes his work so versatile for readers. Each of his short stories seems to say something to the world in a way that leaves an impression on me every time I finish a story.

The book contains the stories; “Mr. Harrigan’s Phone”, “The Life of Chuck,” “If It Bleeds,” and “Rat”.

drawing of a young women laying on bed holding chopsticks, picking at a plate of food on the floor

“i want to die but i want to eat tteokbokki” by Baek Sehee Credit: Bloomsbury Publishing

Chris Bahk (Translation Initiative/International Student Outreach Coordinator) – “i want to die but i want to eat tteokbokki” by Baek Sehee

A book I have recently started reading is “i want to die but i want to eat tteokbokki: A Memoir” by Baek Sehee (Translated by Anton Hur.) It is a Korean therapy memoir to help youth in their mental health struggles.

I first heard about this book on TikTok. I thought the title was very striking and even relatable. I was also interested as I wanted to read and support a Korean author as I am Korean as well. I am still very early into the book but the contents of it are very relatable.

We follow Sehee speaking to her psychiatrist and learning about her intimate and deep struggles. As a reader I found myself relating heavily.

The advice that is given in the books is very helpful and similarly to Sehee, I also find comfort in them. At the beginning of the book Baek Sehee says “words I wish to say to you, the people reading this book. I love and cherish your story. And I am your friend.”

To those dealing with troubling times, I highly recommend this book.

Be sure to check out our previous staff picks, where staffers share their current music and movie choices!